Again I have had a craving for something like this. Actually I had a craving for canned chicken soup but we won't go there. The best part is that except for the butter there isn't that much bad stuff in there.
- 1Kg Whole chicken breasts or thighs
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tbsp dried parsley
- 6 ribs celery diced
- 2 potatoes (peeled & diced)
- 1 ltr salt reduced chicken stock
- 1.5 tspns salt (If using normal stock drop the .5)
- 1/3 cup butter (can be reduced to 3 tbsp)
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 cup milk (lite or skim is fine)
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- In large deep stock pot add the oil and cook onions, carrots, potato & celery for 5 minutes.
- Add the parsley and stir
- Add the stock and bring to the boil
- Reduce the heat and simmer covered for 15 minutes or until the vegitables have started to soften slightly
- Add the chicken breasts or thighs, cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes until the chicken starts to fall apart and vegitables are soft.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and dice. Add back to the broth.
- Melt the butter and stir the flour into it so there are no lumps. The rue does not have to be cooked very much
- Add the rue to the soup as thickener.
- Add the milk to the soup, cook for a further 3-5 mins until soup is hot and creamy.