1/2 Chinese barbecued duck, shredded
1 carrot, grated
3/4 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
1/4 cup chopped mint
2 green onions, sliced
1 1/2 tablespoons hoi sin sauce
2 teaspoons lime juice (can substitute lemon)
50 g vermicelli rice noodles
8 large rice-paper rounds
1/4 kecap manis or hoi sin sauce, to serve
1. Cook the rice noodles in boiling water for 2 minutes and drain.
2. Combine the duck, carrot, lettuce, mint, onions, hoi sin sauce, juice and noodles and mix well.
3. Soak the rice-paper rounds in boiling water for 1 minute (or brush with hot water if this makes them so limp you can't roll them), then drain on absorbent paper (according to the recipe, although I can't say I ever read this bit before).
4. Spoon mixture along the edges of rice paper, fold in sides and roll up tightly.
5. Serve with kecap manis or hoi sin as a dipping sauce.
Note: recipe calls for 1/2 a duck - either eat the rest, or double the recipe.
© (Australian) Gourmet on the Run Cookbook, 1998