February 2011 - alvers.info

Just a place for my old thoughts

Can I do that again...
Sunday, 27 February 2011 10:51 pm

All last week Deb was saying how much she would like to spend the weekend up the coast while booking appointments for Saturday and arranging our belated dinner with Libbette and Jaron.

By Friday I think it finally became real that she wasn't going up the coast so a quick about face and a little agenda shuffling and we were in the car heading for Serena's by 10:30am Saturday.

The weather was pretty perfect and we let Raffi out onto the back deck with a kitteh harness on. She tried to run away a couple of times but once she figured out how it all worked she just settled down and snoozed on the couch with the rest of us.

Late in the afternoon we went down for a swim. The surf was pretty powerful and Deb quickly called it quits and headed back up to her towel. I was having a very nice time of it and just played int he surf.

After a shower we headed over to Fratellini up at Sunshine Beach. We got an early table and absolutely enjoyed the antipasto followed by spatchcock on leek and fennel risotto for Deb and rib eye steak with veg for me. All washed down with a bottle of chianti.

Back at Serena's we sat out on the deck but I was quickly falling asleep, it was all of 9:00pm, so we headed off to bed for an early night.

Now, there was method to all this crazy relaxing and that was to see if the coast offered any better furniture shopping than Brisbane. Sunday morning we headed off with a list of names ready to see what was available. After a couple of possible items we came across this rather interesting table and that was that. At the end of two hours we had purchased the table and arranged delivery for this week. Sweet.

We then made the jump back to Brisbane and got a good run through the traffic. With the deck finally finished we moved our old table out, invited Marjorie over for dinner, and just had a very pleasant evening sitting outside. I can't wait for the new setting to arrive.

You know your busy when...
Monday, 21 February 2011 10:15 pm

Yesterday morning I opened a browser window in order to make a blog post and that was about it. Next thing I knew I was heading home on the ferry.

On the weekend just gone we went nuts on the inside of the house and got everything scrubbed and cleaned. With downstairs, the front yard and the deck a complete mess it at least gave me a small sense of control over the house.

Speaking of the deck, Sunday morning I woke up to realise that the posts are laminated pine and not hardwood as specified by the council and the builders quote. This deck is going to be the end of me. It just feels like one constant compromise. I think I had certain expectations that I didn't properly communicate to the builder and the builder has standard methods that they are reluctant to alter. The whole thing is in the last few days of completion and I now just have to wait for the builder to go 'Ta Da!' and then we can figure out what we're not happy with leaving as is. Oh well.

Saturday afternoon I BBQ's a chicken mediterranean style with a warm tomato salsa and roasted potatoes. I was pretty pleased with how it all turned out.

Sunday we went furniture shopping for the deck. It all feels much of a muchness with the same looks and materials. Not sure really what we are going to end up with. Deb found a 3 metre long reclaimed teak table that would just fit on the deck but never fit into any future houses so that one is still on the maybe list.

And then we were back to work. Deb has hurt her leg again and is in a round of check-ups. She also has this weird little boney lump on her foot which she's getting checked out. Hopefully it will be nothing much.

Is it wrong that I can't wait for the weekend and it's only Tuesday?

Valentine's, airports and business trips
Thursday, 17 February 2011 10:07 pm

What do you get the guy who has everything for Christmas? That was Deb's dilema at Christmas. I honestly have so much stuff that there wasn't really anything I needed for Christmas. As a result I suggested a weekend away to Byron Bay to a set of villas that we had seen the outside of last time.

And that is what Deb arranged for the Valentine's weekend. It was pretty spectacular. The villa itself has the huge high walls around the outside so you have complete privacy. This is a good thing because most of the villa is glass and they have an outside shower.

And Byron was absolutely perfect. The weather was hot, the breeze was cool. The food was outstanding and the beer icy cold. We had a fantastic time. Deb also got a beautiful bikini, a dress and a hat. On the food I have to say that it was really outstanding.

This is my scar. We went swimming in the ocean on Saturday morning and as I was paddling long I saw a blue-bottle drift past. It was then that I saw the sign on the beach warning of stingers. There were so few that I didn't worry but as we were getting out I managed to get one across the back of my hand. It wasn't that bad in terms of pain but you can see that it has left a nice line across my hand. Go on, look closely, it's there I tell you.

Monday I was up in the wee hours to head off to Sydney for three days. I had workshops on Monday and then a training course on Tuesday and Wednesday. The course was held out at Chatswood which is a part of Sydney I have never really had a chance to look around. I have to say that I quite like it although I believe that city-goers consider Chatswood-ians as being a lesser status.

On getting home the deck is really getting along and last night when we got home from work they had installed the french doors from our bedroom onto the deck. Along with the electrics and a few other odds it was looking very very good. Unfortunately we heard that the builder has injured their hand so no work will be happening until Monday. That's ok I guess. When they concrete in the posts we'll probably have to stay off the decks for a while anyway.

So all up it is all looking pretty good. My job has at least got a little interesting with a new project that is kicking along and I heard yesterday that one of the guys in my team got a promotion they had been working on for a while so that is good news for them and food for thought for me.

Onwards to the weekend.

Tensions are running high...does anyone want to go sailing?
Wednesday, 9 February 2011 10:26 pm

It seems that since we have kicked back into the swing of things following all the rain and the flood life has just been winding us up a bit.

The front deck is continuing but the carnage is really starting to get to me. I knew it was going to take up to a month and a half but...you know. I just wish it was finished and I could get my deck and yard back.

Furrg was most pleased last night to finally have stair treads on the front deck. They're not bolted down fully but it does mean that a kitteh such as himself is able to come and go via the front door as is his want.

We have a long weekend planned this weekend to head down to Byron Bay for a few days and hopefully just relax and take it easy. It was all I really wanted for Christmas so coupling it with Valentines Day seemed like a good idea.

Now, onto the sailing front. How freaking hard is it to get poeple to want to go sailing??? Serena has chartered a four berth catamaran over the extra long Easter Weekend and we only have enough people to fill three beds. We need two more people to take up the last spot. Are you interested? Your share of the price could be negotiated. If you like the idea of cruising around Hervey Bay on a lovely boat with a fairly experiened crew then this is your chance.


Waves, wine and kittehs
Monday, 7 February 2011 1:21 am

A very nice weekend if I do say so myself. We headed home on Friday, loaded our bags, Freya and the cats into the car and made the run to Serena's place.

We got in a little before 8pm which made it a pretty good run. Serena had cooked risotto and Furrg finally had a deck to sit on so all was right with the world.

Saturday we went up to Eumundi Markets then down to Hasting Street at Noose for a drink and then lunch at the Surf Club. Again really nice. I got Deb a new bikini, because I think she needs bikinis.

We then headed down to the beach for a swim and a lay on the beach as the sun set. Then back up to the house to freshen up before dinner at Shelly's Thai. Then a reasonably early night in bed.

Sunday we had breakfast out at Sunshine Beach and then made the run home. The roads were actually pretty good so we made excellent time. I think baked bread in the BBQ and then made cannelloni while Deb went over to pick-up her Mum for dinner.

We even got to watch Kung-Fu Panda which was just a lovely end to the weekend.

Under the house and the front deck are a mess but the work is progressing. It rained last night and early this morning but it looks like it will hold off today which hopefully will mean we will get a roof on the deck shortly. I can't wait to see how it is going to look.

Wednesday, 2 February 2011 11:55 pm

Freya, good friend from Melbourne, flew in last night to spend a few days with us in 'sunny' Queensland. Deb took the air-train out to the airport to meet her and I picked up the car and headed home. As it turned out they beat me home anyway.

On arriving I discovered that we now have a deck platform, it still isn't cemented in, and the roof from the deck and sundry walls etc had been removed.

We were also contacted by the builder who asked if we could absorb some of the costs of getting the house level because it has put the job behind schedule.

I just have to hope that the rain holds off. As it was the condensation of the roof ran into the unconnected gutter this morning and made a very annoying dripping noise that woke us up.

I can't wait to see it finished!