December 2008 -

Just a place for my old thoughts

It has entered the building...
Thursday, 11 December 2008 4:56 am

Yes, my Christmas has really come early with the delivery yesterday of my new big screen TV. It was a complete saga with me being out at lunch (read below) and the delivery guy calling up and saying he would be at the house with the TV in 45 minutes. WTF!!1!

So we arranged for him to stash it out of sight of the street and I made a mercy dash home to make sure no one tried to give themselves an early Christmas.

And of course when I got there I couldn't just let it sit there doing nothing. So I hauled it up the front stairs (40kg + packing) and then managed to remove our old TV (65kg) and lift the new LCD up into place.

Needless to say my back is shot today, but it is surprising what you can do when you are staring at your big screen TV. Oh, and we watched Wanted which is seriously one of the worst movies EVER.

Thursday, 11 December 2008 4:51 am

I am a representative for my business unit at work in the PwC Foundation. That is the PwC charity group that does good deeds and all that stuff

Well we had our Foundation Christmas lunch yesterday out at a restaurant at Marooka. I should preface this by saying that I had not read the invite so as the time approached for lunch I thought 'Hell, Marooka is miles away from the office, how silly to book something out there'. As Deb will tell you I am not very bright.

15 minutes before we depart I finally followed the link to Mu'ooz. On the plus side I was one of only 3 people who did so I sounded very authoritative when I was telling the story of how the restaurant came to be.

And I can tell you that the food was wonderful, the story of what Saba achieved was pretty amazing. I guess it is experiences like that which make volunteer work worth it.

Now, if I could figure out a way to mix food with all the other stuff in my life that I have to do I think I might be onto a winner.

Food, glorious food
Sunday, 7 December 2008 11:02 pm

I have been meaning to post this for a few days and have finally got round to it. The other day there was an interesting celestial convergence when the moon, Venus and Jupiter made a 'happy face' over Australia. I managed to get a few pictures before the mosquitoes nearly tore me to pieces. Funny part was that in the US it was an unhappy face with the smile up side down.

Anyway, back to the food part. Friday I was working from home waiting for our new TV to turn up (which it didn't) so I had some extra time in the afternoon so cooked Paella. I am getting better at making it but have to say it is very much an art rather than a science. The ingredients are absolutely key to getting the right flavours as well. I used standard chicken and it was not nearly as good as previous attempts with corn fed. Anyway, it did look pretty convincing.

Then Saturday we went out to Sammies Girl to get seafood and some beautiful fresh snapper. Since coming back from Europe my taste for fish has increase significantly and we are definitely eating more. This is the second time that I have cooked reef fish poached in green curry sauce and used a commercial paste that had a fair amount of kick. I'll have to try making my own paste for the next one. I had both Deb and Serena breaking into a sweat over this one.

And that brings us to Sunday and Serena's naming day. We made the trip up to Spirit House and it absolutely did not disapoint. It has been a good year since our last visit so we were looking forward to what we knew would be a great meal. What we got though was even better. The food was even more luscious, moist and delicious than I remember. With 8 people at the table we had most of the entres, mains and all the deserts. Washed down with some awesome wines. You can tell it was a great lunch when it takes four hours and people are threatening to lick the dishes. Oh, and the service was outstanding which was a challenage in the heavy humidity and heat.

A year has definitely been too long since our last visit.

And as one final bit I have had these two pictures kicking around for a while and just wanted to post them.

I'm chuffed and they are wet
Tuesday, 2 December 2008 12:08 am

Well I got my new wireless router last night that I'll be using to connect the new TV to the Internet. It actually wirelessly bridges the connection from the study to the TV entertainment unit and lets me run cables to the HTPC and TV. When I was doing the research I found that a dedicated wireless bridge could cost upwards of $250 dollars which didn't sound like a great idea.

So after a look around I found a $50 wireless router that could do the same job. Sweet! The instructions were sort of spread everywhere and not very well documented but within about 30 minutes of getting home last night I had it up and running.

Best thing is that it is faster than the original USB dongles that I have been using so I am doubly pleased. We were able to stream media directly off of Deb's laptop so it is good all round. I just need my TV to turn up and all will be good.

Oh, and looking at the papers this morning I saw that Venice is currently having one of the worst floods of the last 22 years. Check this out. Just to the left of picture was where we found a great little cafe and had one of the highlight meals of our trip.

Tuesday, 2 December 2008 2:02 am

Wow, and Mum's not even there yet!

Thursday, 11 December 2008 9:50 am

At the bottom of the picture, sought of in the middle, is someone in a chicken suit drowning?

Whoa! Christmas already?
Monday, 1 December 2008 2:38 am

Well another November comes to a close and another round of Movember. I raised a few hundred dollars all up so it wasn't a bad effort. Strangely enough for all the time I had a beard I hated the moustache by the end because it was driving me nuts.

The house is going well and Deb and I are into the run-up to Christmas. Most of our Sundays are booked out between now and the New Year for visiting friends and being visited.

Yesterday we finally got Lucette and Shane around to checkout the house and our Europe photos. It was so nice spending time just chatting and relaxing that I didn't realise that 8pm had rocked around so quickly. It was a very nice way to end the weekend though. We will have to get around to their place next time.

And I am now waiting patiently for the new TV which is due for delivery this week. I am going to work from home on Friday and try and get it setup in the afternoon. Hell knows I would rather take the whole day off to play with it but I am not sure my boss would agree.