March 2007 -

Just a place for my old thoughts

The things we have to put up with...
Monday, 26 March 2007 12:01 am

Working remotely (ie: From home) has been very very cool. There is no travel time in the morning or afternoon. Full access to everything in the fridge so no dilemas over what to have for lunch. And you get to spend the day in shorts and a t-shirt. A big change for me after wearing suits for almost 10 years.

Except for the crippling loneliness of it all and the voices that have started to tell me to build an ark everything is generally going really well.

But you see, Mr Furrgus went out and nearly got is ear torn off by the local top cat. After a trip to the vet we have been pumping him with antibiotic horse tablets. (At least that's what Mr Furrgus calls them.) The two effects of these tablets are that Furrg is getting better and he is also being very affectionate. Maybe I should try taking a couple. Anyway, I had to save one of the webcam shots that got taken today when Mr Furrgus came into my office and offered to help me.

Tuesday, 3 April 2007 12:24 am

I think you've just been officially spammed. Or do always have overseas viagra companies contacting you?

Wednesday, 4 April 2007 6:21 am

Gods, I get rid of them and they just come back, like pimples. Grrr.

That new car smell
Sunday, 25 March 2007 5:40 pm

Yes, that is right I have entered the realms of the new car owner. Deb says she doesn't like it but that new car smell is just fantastic. This is the first time that I have owned a car from brand new I am really excited. The Nissan X-Trail is great fun to drive and our choice of a manual transmission just adds to the fun of driving it.

One of the best bits was that we got a call last Monday asking if we also wanted window tinting. I said go ahead (at the additional cost) and I must say that against the slate grey paintwork it looks awesome.

I won't go on about it too much because Deb has put a great summary on her page, but needless to say it was a pretty good weekend. We have already put 150km on the clock just driving around and checking out Manly.

I have let Deb know that she will be able to drive the car sometime next year. Until then it is all mine, mine, mine!

It has been a big day
Saturday, 17 March 2007 4:20 am

When I woke up this morning, I had no idea what was instore for me. Deb had arranged for us to test drive a Nissan X-trail even though I had fallen in love with the Jeep. It turns out that they have produced a four door version of their base Jeep model. It was a beautiful but unfortunately completely impractical for what we wanted to use it for. For 51 weeks of the year it would have been perfect. Except for that one week when we had guests in town and we could not collect them and their luggage from the Airport. So the Nissan won out.

We were both pleased to get a great price on the Mazda for trade-in so the new car actually works out at very good price. It should be here by next Friday and only needs the towbar kit installed. I don't know if I will ever use a towbar but it seemed like a good idea at the time. And I will be able to pay out on Deb forever now because she did not let me get the rear carpet that only cost $80.00. We did end up getting the rear compartment tray which actually looks like a great idea.

Interestingly enough we ended up buying the manual version of the car. With an opportunity to drive both the manual one was just more fun and still comes with cruise control, so it should be equally fun on the run to the ferry as well as the trip to the coast.

I am secretly quite excited but don't want to tell Deb because I am stringing her along for a while.

So with the deposit down we then headed back to inspect a property that Deb had found on the net. It was in an ideal location and only a short walk from Oxford street. Unfortunately that has become one of my main criteria when looking at places to buy.

Anyway, can you say location, location, location. The house is a short walk away from Oxford street and doesn't involve the hill that we currently have to walk over. The house itself has some potential but the really amazing part was just the lush gardens around it. Is it worth the money that we have put down? I am honestly not sure but it beats the hell out of paying rent to someone else's mortgage as we currently are.

having inspected the place we went back to Oxford street for some lunch and a cold beer. I will admit that my final word with the estate agent left me feeling we had no chance of an offer. But while we were eating did got a call on the mobile from the agent asking if we were interested in confirming an offer. So with a quick walk back to the house to check the net and confirm stamp duty prices we headed back to the agent to make an offer.

So at 7:16 at night I am sitting here the owner of a new car and waiting patiently until Monday to see if our offer has been accepted.

Whoa! It has been a big day.

Tuesday, 20 March 2007 1:53 am

Very exciting times for you two at the moment, by the sounds of it. I've got lots of words to say to you about the 4WD (how exciting), and here's the first two....RUST PROOFING. $400 spent now will be worth $1000's in the future.
Good luck with the house too :)

Sunday, 25 March 2007 2:12 am

So who do we take it to to get it rust proofed, since you're the man in the know?

Monday, 26 March 2007 4:11 am

Ming rustproofing

Ok...the posts are getting few and far between.
Friday, 16 March 2007 12:37 am

I know, I know, the posts here are getting few and far between. My only excuse is that it has been a fairly busy few weeks since I last wrote. In that time Deb has started her new contract and I am slowly getting used to my new role.

Working from home does not feel quite as strange as it used to. I am actually starting to really enjoy just being able to wake up and start working. And with things getting cooler it is not quite as uncomfortable as it used to be.

Deb has been pretty stressed over the last couple of weeks as she has moved from one contract into the other. I will leave it to her to post further information on what she has been up to.

Possibly the highlight of the last couple of weeks was the trip up the coast to stay at the beach house. It is becoming something of a habit but we seem to spend our time simply eating fantastic food and drinking too much wine. Libbette cooked us an awesome green duck curry and sunday was spent at Antonio's unit having breakfast which was large enough that I did not need to eat dinner that night.

Unfortunately my wine consumption has not diminished much and if it keeps up I will be in serious risk of having to start exercising.

Besides work, most of our time is chewed up watching various TV series such as Heroes and Stargate Atlantis. Both of these are quite different series but I am loving both of them. It really helps that I can download them ahead of time from the Internet and watch entire series in one go.

Unfortunately this has left the yard in a fairly bad state as I keep neglecting to bring out the lawn mower. This weekend though really is the last straw so I will not have a choice but to go hard and get it cleaned up. On top of that Deb and I have another house we want to look at and we are also planning a breakfast over at Dad's house on Sunday. So that should be very cool.

On the technology nightmare front both Wayne and Antonio have had problems with their computers. Brendan managed to download a Trojan virus which then took Wayne days to clean off. And Antonio was having weird behaviour with his computer which ended up corrupting his hard disk . Unfortunately even after replacing that the problem still persisted so he thinks it is the mother board. Not that I would knock the opportunity to get another computer but he is busy at the moment preparing resumes and the like so I really have to feel sorry for him.

My biggest issue in the last two weeks was in upgrading my PDA radio and blackberry software . Unfortunately something went very wrong and it caused the battery to discharge in only an hour. Needless to say this rendered my phone completely useless. I was almost sure that I had created a brick but luckily on our return from the coast on Sunday night I was able to restore the previous software much to my relief .

And finally some exciting news. We have been looking for a new car for some time . Only today I discovered that we may be able to afford a Jeep. Since my old Suzuki 4WD I have always wanted a new soft top car, and today I discovered that a jeep was within our reach. Needless to say I am now excited about buying a car again. The thought of the previous models on offer was just too boring for me to care. So Daniel is back and excited about a new car. The only problem is that they are apparently very bad for using lots of petrol.

Oh well, we only drive to the end of the street anyway.

The end of an era and a new start...
Sunday, 4 March 2007 7:41 pm

Well, it has been a little while since my last post and quite a bit has happened. Only a week ago our long time family home was finally sold so that the proceeds could be split between Mum and Dad. On the upside they sold it to our cousin Michael for a fair price all round.

The weird part is seeing your own family home show up on after spending so many months researching a house of our own. So I have borrowed the photos from the web for historical purposes. It is strange to see the kitchen now, which I thought was just normal, with the bright green laminate and the padded breakfast bar. Cool...

So Mum is now living with my Aunt Jane and Uncle Ray down in Tugan and Dad is renting a place in Albany Creek so that he can keep is business phone number. So it is not too bad.

Sadly I heard on the weekend that my Uncle Mick, Dad's brother and Uncle Col, Dad's brother in law, both passed away within hours of one another. Growing up we never really spent much time with Dad's side of the family but I know that Dad did speak to them regularly in the last few years. It is like someone telling you that someone you only just remember from childhood has passed away.

On the domestic front Deb is just in the process of changing contracts. It turns out that the job she applied for was not actually the role that they had. They just posted the wrong advert and then failed to tell Deb. In any case she is leaving that one and taking up a role with a local IT company, again on contract. It is pretty scary for her because she has never worked for a vendor but frankly government was was getting her down. So next week will be her first day on the job. I'll leave it to Deb to update you on what is happening.

For me I am still getting used to working remotely from the office and just trying to find my feet in my new roll. So far it is pretty good although I am at that space where one set of projects are closing down and another are yet to launch which is a strange thing for me to have a dead spot in my week.

I have been asked to speak at this years YLT intake session , this week, which is a leadership course run at work that I attended last year. I am both excited and freaked out at having to speak in front of people again. It seems like such a long time ago that we were doing it for the program Oh well, I am sure it will go well.

At home we just had Mum, Jane & Ray, Wayne & Sharon + Nathan & Brendan and Jaqueline & Jason over for a seafood lunch on Saturday. Oh how I underestimated the work involved.

Deb and I had to drive to Redcliffe and back, a 2.5hr round trip, in order to pickup the seafood. It was a logistics nightmare with me dropping Deb off at the supermarket so that she could shop while I bought the seafood. Then back to Kipparing to pick her up and make a bolt fro home.

And how is this for divine intervention. I dropped Deb at the supermarket and she said, just follow these roads and you will get to Morgans at the Scarborough Wharf. Off I go no problems but on the return trip I realise that I must have missed a turnoff or something because the roads don't seem familiar.

So I am driving up to a roundabout getting ready to drive through to what I thought was the town centre, then just as I hit it I get this urge to turn left and pull straight off. So I did...and guess what...right in front of me was the shopping centre that Deb was in. If I hadn't taken the turnoff I would have got lost and wasted valuable time. I owe someone big-time for that Karma withdrawal.

Anyway, enough babble, back to work.